Name  Pass 
Back

Official Forum >> English forum >> other bands/music >> Anathema Page of 2
Anathema
Author Topic
franciska_af

Flying

Posted: September 9, 2020

I just checked and still any topic about this wonderful band, so I'll start it ;-)

I discovered Anathema some years ago with their album Judgement, and I loved it ( I think is still my favourite), after I listened "Serenades", but I didn't like it very much coz I didn't liked the doom in that time =P
But now I'm just listening and checking more about them and simply love it, I LOVE the lyrics, pure emotion, every lyric, every song (L)

And what do you think about them?

Amsanc

Intermediate

Posted: September 10, 2020

They're one of my favourite bands

Judgment is a great album , One last goodbye is one of their best songs till date. The other is Restless Oblivion from The Silent Enigma. But almost (I don't really like Serenades as well) their albuns are amazing.

Vinnie's voice is wonderful, he sings with such great emotion even when he used to growl.

The man that hath no music in himself,
Nor is not mov'd with concord of sweet sounds,
Is fit for treasons, stratagems, and spoils. Let no man trust him
franciska_af

Flying

OMG

yeahhhhhhh, also I LOVE One Last Goodbye, one of the greatest songs I heard ever (L)
( I  loved it from the first time I'd listen it , is just wonderful)

and yeah, Vinnie sings amazing, with so much feeling and emotion (L)

still I must to listen their old stuff *.*

hehehe, so I'm not the only who don't like Serenades =P

but now I 'll listen it again, we'll see how is now

Nordikya

One of my fav' band... I must say !

Amsanc

Intermediate

Quoted From franciska_af: OMG

yeahhhhhhh, also I LOVE One Last Goodbye, one of the greatest songs I heard ever (L)
( I  loved it from the first time I'd listen it , is just wonderful)

and yeah, Vinnie sings amazing, with so much feeling and emotion (L)

still I must to listen their old stuff *.*

hehehe, so I'm not the only who don't like Serenades =P

but now I 'll listen it again, we'll see how is now

One Last Goodbye has that effect on people, you either love it or hate it, there's no other choice.

You must listen to The Silent Enigma then, the cd is beyond words, Vinnie's voice is a bit harsh at that time, but he still rocks (or dooms) like hell

Yeah Serenades has 2 great songs (Sleepless and Lovelorn Rhapsody) and 2 good ones (Under a veil and Sweet tears), the rest is just...meh:)

franciska_af

Flying

Posted: September 11, 2020

heheheh ( I cannot stop of listening One last goodbye, what song most beautiful )

yep, I'll check out that album!!!

searching  in youtube, I found this AWESOME video of Restless Oblivion Live in Krakow 1996
www.youtube.com/watch

so I guess I'll love that album and the other old stuff *_*

and this other videos from the DVD A moment in time, are simply AMAZING, juts LOVE THEM (L)

Lost Control
www.youtube.com/watch

One Last Goodbye ( so wonderful )
www.youtube.com/watch

and so many more xD

ps. I guess Anathema got a new fan more

Amsanc

Intermediate

Posted: September 11, 2020

That Restless Oblivion video you found is from their first DVD "A Vision of a Dying Embrace", and while the music is perfectly executed, Vinnie's voice sounds even more harsher than the album version, so if you like that live vesion, you'll most definatly LOVE the album version.

Here some of my favourits:

The Silent Enigma http://fr.youtube.com/watch?v=GSK8PMC8MnA

Pulled Under http://fr.youtube.com/watch?v=jstCG76Q8fU

Fragile Dreams http://fr.youtube.com/watch?v=9es2r7fs7t4

Regret http://fr.youtube.com/watch?v=-r1wWeGWWhU

A Dying Wish http://fr.youtube.com/watch?v=CsYPjP4M73o

Hope you like them

franciska_af

Flying

Posted: September 12, 2020

WOW

Those are really awesome videos, love them all!!!! =)

Check out this  chilean fansite, is in spanish, for all the people whom speak spanish

www.anathema.cl

and  check out this video, is really cool, they are some chilean fans with Vinny after a gig in Italy I think www.youtube.com/watch

Amsanc

Intermediate

Posted: September 13, 2020

LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL

One of the great things of Anathema is that in the real world, they left their doomy and sad image that their songs have, behind and act like normal people, for instance in their last gig here, Danny was totally drunk during the show, and kept doing that happy face during the gig, it was hilarious.

The site is amazing (the bootleg rules!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! tks a lot;))

franciska_af

Flying

Posted: September 13, 2020

wuiahahahahahahaa
really?

xD
well due this video I saw, I can believe it, they are really funny  anyway =P
Vinny is really nice there (L)

yeah, the fansite is veery cool!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! you should check out the forum, last year there VINCENT post a message announcing the upcoming gig in Chile
, it's a pity I didn't into their music at that time =(
www.anathema.cl/phpBB2/viewtopic.php

franciska_af

Flying

Posted: September 14, 2020

OMG
I just got the album The Silent Enigma: it's JUST FUCKING AWESOME!!!

You was right Amsac, really LOVE this album!

Amsanc

Intermediate

Posted: September 15, 2020

Wow, in the bootleg Vinnie can speak castellano very well don't you think, I mean, at least for a british person.

Glad you liked The Silent Enigma, what's your favourite song so far?

franciska_af

Flying

Hehehe, yeah, I noticed, in the "happy birthday for Lee", for example, Vinny has a very good domain of spanish, but he speak with the true spanish voice =P

and OMG, the bootleg is really wonderful, the guys made an excellent work there for recorded it, i guess ( again i think the best is One Last Goodbye so far, in studio, in live, is just the most beautiful and wonderful ANATHEMA's song, in my opinion , I totally LOVE IT (L))

Well, really i cannot choose just one favourite song, the whole album is AWESOME, but could name for example: Restless Oblivion , The silent enigma, A Dying Wish

and which songs are your favourites?

Amsanc

Intermediate

I really like livecds/bootlegs where you can hear people singing with the band crystal clear. But yeah, the bootleg has a rare excellent quallity for a bootleg, veryo good work indeed.

Well for me The Silent Enigma works like this

Restless Oblivion and The Silent Enigma --->Materpieces
Shroud of Frost and Dying Wish ---->Amazing Songs
Alone and Black Orchid ---> Great Songs
Sunset of Age ---> Good one
Nocturnal Emission and Cerulean Twilight---> Meh.....(the band said they wrote these songs when they were recording the album, its like they thought "well the album is a bit small, we have to do something about that":P)

franciska_af

Flying

Posted: September 16, 2020

hehehe

yeah, that bootleg is indeed excellent quality, I enjoy so much listening it *.*

Hahaha, I didn't know that about the last 2 songs of The SILENT ENIGMA, but anyway these are amazing songs

and tell me, which are your favourites ANATHEMA's albums or the only one, if there is possible choose just one =P

do you like both styles: doom metal and  "atmospherycal" rock?
I do it, really *-*

and about the DVDs, which do you like mostly?
I  just have WERE YOU THERE? DVD ( which was a gif =P) and actually cannot stop of watching it, but i watch at youtube the videos from A MOMENT IN TIME and is breathtakingly amazing, love all the performance *__*

Amsanc

Intermediate

Posted: September 16, 2020

Like you said it is very difficult to choose just one, but if I had to I would chose The Silent Enigma,  just because it has my favourite Anathema songs. oh well since I love lists, here's another one about my favs Anathema albuns:

-The Silent Enigma (1995)

-Eternity (1996) - Not so heavy as TSE, but its still a bit metal, this is the album where Vinnie realized he can actually sing

- PentecostIII (1995) - Last record with old vocalist Darren White, Doom Metal without grunts (more like Cathedral and Candlemass), its just a minicd but those 5 songs are amazing.
- Judgment (1999) - You apparently know that one

- Alternative4 (1998) - Its basically Alternative Rock (not yet atmospheric), its not so different from the works of Muse and the likes (but of course you can see some Anathema elements trademark here and there).

- A Natural Disaster (2003) - The Most Heterogenic album, it seems that each song belongs to a different band, you can listen influences from Radiohead, Pink Floyd, Portishead, Elctronic music, and God knows what else.... Oh and it has the most addicting Anathema song IMO, which is Pulled Under, I guess the first time I've heard I hit the repeat button 15 times lol.

- A Fine day to exit (2001) - The most "Radiohead" album, is the only album that I like all their musics, but its also the only one that has not a song I love (most people don't agree with me still). A great album nonetheless.

- Serenades (1993) - You apparently know this one as well

- The Crestfallen (1992) - Its just like Serenades, its another minicd.

DVDS

- A Vision of a Dying Embrace(VHS version1995/DVD version2002) - In that one, they mostly played The Silent Enigma yet I think Vinnie's voice is awful on that show. But the songs are brilliantly executed.

- Were you there(2004) - Its great really, almost perfect, songs great, crowd enthusastic, maybe the only flaw I can point is that there are only songs from (Judgement, A Natural Disaster and A Fine day to exit) but that's just a matter of taste.

- A Moment in Time (2006) - My favourite, its just like Were you There, but they play together with a String Quartet, and they play songs from Alternative4 and Eternity as well.
Oh and there are also some compilations.
- Resonance I - Wish is a gathering of their slow songs like acoustic ones, and some bonus meterial

- Resonance II - Its the opposite, heavy songs and bonus material.

Hope I was any help

Page of 2 Next �    Last �