Forums  |  Register  |  Active Topics  |  Members  |  Search
login | 464 online
Name  Pass 
Back

Official Forum >> English forum >> other bands/music >> Singers, feelings and things
Singers, feelings and things
Author Topic
franciska_af

The Queen

Posted: January 31, 2021 06:39:42

What's the thing you must appreciatte in a singer?
whatever the musical style he/she is...?

I mean, many times the singers are judged by their vocal quality, totally understanble, but sometimes, in a band is most important the "feelings" that the voice transmite much more than the vocal perfection and another things...

For example, Vincent Cavanagh from Anathema, he is NOT the best singer of the world, lots of times is off tune, but his emotional voice and his interpretation comes to me to all the cells of my body.

Better is when both things are together, like Anneke, she is ( for me) the best singer of the universe in all the senses: emotional voice and also great quality vocal, she can reach high and low notes perfectly!Also is the case of our Floor: the best female singer in metal, and also transmitting much passion in it.

But for example, as I said it, many times some singers are judged by their "lack" of vocal talent...
I wanna mean with this Anette Olzon: all of we know she is not the best singer in the world, she dont has classic singing, but that doesnt means she cannot singing in Nightwish because she "lacks" the quality vocal, for me, Nightwish is a band who transmite lots of feelings in their music,and Anette's voice fits very well to the meaning of those songs, IMO

Siningin classic , operatic voice and virtuosism not always is the best kind of singing or stuff in a band, like lots of another singings that are popular by their "quality"
These words are also also applicable for other things like the musical style, and musical "perfection" ( I mean impressive riffs, solos, etc)

For me is most important the feeling than the quality, nowadays :-)
( Of course the quality is a great factor, but sometimes not means everything)

But tastes are tastes, I know =)

Amsanc

Intermediate

Posted: February 1, 2021 01:23:45

Nice post, I agree with almost everything. For me the first thing that matters in singing is the feeling and emotions the singer gives to what s/he's singing, you've mentioned Vinnie, Floor and Anneke and they're some of the best in that subject, others for me are: Daniel Gildenlow (P.O.S), Matt Barlow (Iced Earth) and even Tobi (Edguy).

But don't forget, that those "feelings" and "emotions" are not the same for everyone else, for instance there are lots of people who say Tarja gives depth to NW songs, while for me the way she sings is too cold to express any feeling.

Also the way the songwritters use their singers can change one's opinion about a singer's depth. In this case I point Symphony X's Russell Allen. To me he sings amazingly with Arjen Lucassen (Ayreon/Star One), yet in Symphony X I don't like him that much.

The man that hath no music in himself,
Nor is not mov'd with concord of sweet sounds,
Is fit for treasons, stratagems, and spoils. Let no man trust him
franciska_af

The Queen

Posted: February 1, 2021 04:31:24

ohh yess!!!
Daniel from Pain of Salvation! :D Love his voice in some acoustic album I listened! *.*

hehe, yes, indeed it is that about those feelings, everyone have their owns, I like Tarja's voice, has depth, yes, and also its cold like you say, and for me the best " classical singer may dont make me feel like some normal singer could do it with her/his simple but nice and sweet voice...
and for another ones could be the against and would prefer that "musical perfection", depth and stuff...
all of this also goes for the music too...
the most virtuosism music players may not make me feel like maybe the simple players
:P

and also I've read comments of people that dont find nothing especial in Anneke's voice or in The Gathering music ( thing that its absolutely INCREDIBLE for me at least ) but well, tastes are tastes
had you listened Steve Wilson's projects? ( I mean mainly Blackfield, No Man, Bass Comunion)
I found them maybe "simple" music, but I really like that ( and I feel that much more close to me that the "darkness" and depth/gothicism of lyrics/bands/singers with classic voices of nowadays), enjoy it alot! and comes to me! that's the important!

I also wanna mencionate to Amy Lee ( yes, she!), all of we know she DONT think well in live especially ( horrible sometimes) but I really feel close to me her voice and her interpretation, I pretty love that! and I dont care if she sings so bad, when what she's singing it's what I feel and comes to me!

are u getting me?

( although, my personal thoughts about all of this devotion toward Tarja is that mainly Tarja marked an "before" and and "after" into the metal with female voices , especially lyrical voices, with her in Nightwish that genre was much more close and knowed to the people, and was an inspiration for lots of another actual singers like our Floor =)

Good point  about the way that can sound very different some singer thanks the songwritters

Amsanc

Intermediate

Posted: February 4, 2021 04:20:48

Look, why caring if a singer sounds better live or not? If you feel great by listening to Amy Lee on her records, than that's fine. What really counts to me its the studio result, if a singer can do it or not live, that's other issues. I mean, of course in studio you have the recording tricks and stuff you can't use live to make the song better, but that doesn't really influence the songs stractures and main ideas they're just details, I guess, at least in rock and metal.

Anyway, speaking of live, most live records are re-recorded in studio using those studio tricks, so they're as true as a normal full lenght record.

The only band I know of Steve Wilson are Porcupine Tree:P

Well, its true that Tarja marked an era of metal, but I think Anneke (and Live Kristine) was way more important. Before her, back in 1995, no metal band had enough "balls" to let a female singer take the "leading role", only suporting ones (Orphanage, P.Lost, Anathema, ect...). Back then The Gathering opened a lot of doors in metal, even if they can't be labeled metal nowdays.

The man that hath no music in himself,
Nor is not mov'd with concord of sweet sounds,
Is fit for treasons, stratagems, and spoils. Let no man trust him